Willow Creek Tower

Home Page Forums Portage History Willow Creek Tower

Tagged: 

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kathy Heckman 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Kathy Heckman

Donna Smith (dsmith@pcpls.org)To:you Details
    We found a nice website of historical train info. We e-mailed the photographer who took a lot of the photos for the site and visited the locations. I’m just waiting to hear from all these people I’ve contacted. Thanks!

Donna Smith
    Head of Reference
    Portage Public Library
    2665 Irving St.
    Portage, IN 46368
    dsmith@pcpls.org
    219-763-1508

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Kheckman wrote:

He already called the museum, we have a picture and the Willow Creek sign. I suggested he get on Northwest Indiana Memories because there are train enthusiasts on there that might know more history.
    Kathy

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2017, at 3:38 PM, Donna Smith wrote:

Help! We have a patron who is looking for information on the railroad tower that sat just down from Woodland Park where the tracks cross Willowcreek Road right by the overpass. He’s trying to find out when it was built, when it ceased operation, and when it was demolished.

We can’t find much of anything. We have discovered that it burned down in 1905, but was rebuilt at some point. It was still there as of 1983, but not in 1988. I think it was torn down when they did the big Willowcreek project in the mid to late 80s (when they widened the road and put in the overpass).

I’ve contacted the city engineer and the Northwest Indiana Regional Planning Commission (NIRPC). They have no information and directed me to other avenues. We’ve e-mailed a local historian who took many photos of it for an online history page. I’ve also e-mailed the historical division of CSX Railroad in the hopes that they might have some historical info. from the previous local railroads which they took over. I’ve also left a message for INDOT since railroads are supposed to give them annual reports on their activities. I’m also waiting to hear from the County Highway Dept. The man at NIRPC told me they are in charge of bridges within counties and may have info. on when it was torn down if it happened during the building of the overpass

Does anyone know of anything? Is there anything at the museum that might have some information in it? My next step after this is to give what we have found over to the patron and direct him to the Calumet Regional Archives.

Donna Smith
    Head of Reference
    Portage Public Library
    2665 Irving St.
    Portage, IN 46368
    dsmith@pcpls.org
    219-763-1508

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.