HISTORY OF THE PORTAGE COMMUNITY HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM

As near as we know, the house was built by Charles Trager between 1900 and 1920. Judging by its construction, it was probably nearer to 1900. According to the 1876 Porter County census, the land, a 76 acre parcel, was owned by George Earle. In 1895, Charles and William Trager each owned one half of […]

Continue reading

History of Portage Township

The Portage area was controlled by the Pottawatomie Indians well into the 19th century. The Indians did not sell out their major land holdings until, 1932. There was little bloodshed as the Indians left the land. Among the lasting reminders of the Indian episode is “Calumet”, the Pottawatomie word for peace. Portage Township received its […]

Continue reading

1900’s Early Pictures and Documents

Portage Township Mandolin Club of 1904 Top Row: Wm. E. Samuelson, Mrs. Wm. A. Briggs, John Johnson, Christina Malmatone, Lidea Traeger Clemens. Middle Row: Tressie Kimmel Koch, Delma Nicholson Buhman, Lewis E. Johnson, George Samuelson, Arthur A. Foreman, Carrie Kimmel Baker. Bottom Row (Seated): Lily Samuelson Jannasch, August A. Malmstone, Burt Spencer, Ida Malmstone Pearson, […]

Continue reading

Garyton

Chesterton Bank BookScanStation-2018-08-28-09-47-55-AM

Continue reading

1964 PHS Graduation and Sports Banquet

Click any of the images to see it full-sized  

Continue reading